Tuesday, February 07, 2006

January Re-cap

Restaurants:
Nook (good)
Senor Fred (stomachache-in-the-middle-of-the-night bad)
La Frite (mediocre, but the company made up for it)
the cafe at Surfas (good)
(Not surprisingly, this resolution as proven to be the easiest of all to keep)

Book: "Casanova in Balzano" by Sandor Marai
(I cheated. I listened to it on CD during my commute, and I didn't finish it till February 2nd. Regardless, it was over-written and grotesquely flowery and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.)

Recipe: Onion Quiche - from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything"
(I cheated again. I didn't have enough onion and I added asparagus. What was I to do? If I didn't use up those frail little spears that were just barely starting to show signs of wilt, they were going to rot! Of course, I made several other food items during the month of January, but nothing of note. I only wish that my culinary skills lived up to my culinary imagination! Let's hope I have better luck in February.)

Culturally-Enriching Activity: "The Good Body" by Eve Ensler at the Wadsworth Theater in Brentwood

I purchased tickets to this event in a frantic hurry to meet my January deadline, so I ended up seeing it on the 31st. I bought the cheapest tickets available, which proved itself to be a blessing. Not because the show was bad, which it wasn't, but because it didn't sell out. Or even close to it. In fact, they closed the balcony -- meaning that even though we paid for upper balcony, we sat in the orchestra.

I didn't see Ensler perform "The Vagina Monologues" (though I have seen it twice) but I imagine that her approach was much the same way -- conversational and engaging. She spoke about the longest committed relationship she's ever had: the one she has with her belly. She talked about Weight Watchers meetings and personal trainers and body dysmorphia. I laughed aloud at the funny bits, and was silent when appropriate. Overall, I really enjoyed the piece. I thought it was humorous and poignant -- and yet, lacking.

I haven't quite figured out exactly what it is that I was anticipating, or what it was that caused me to disengage from the piece mid-performance. Did I find her jumps from character to character distracting? Was I unhappy with the monologue format? Was I looking for a more traditional format that could provide some sort of resolution-solution? I'm not sure. But I'm going to keep thinking about it, and when I figure out what left me unfulfilled, I'll write it down.

Until then, all of this thinking is making my head hurt.

2 comments:

shewannabecool said...

Book recommendation for February (or March if you already have feb): JT LEroy: The heart is decietful above all things.

I just finished this after decided wholeheartedly that I love fake writers and hope to become one myself. This is my second book in the genre and it was quite enchanting and a very quick read if your in a bind!

Anonymous said...

I am writing a book about secrets and I am trying to incorporate secrets from all over the world. It's easy and it's a chance to be part of a great a book. Just write your secret up to a thousand words. Sign it with an annonymous name, age and city/state you are from. Mail it too P.O. box 389243 Cincinnat Ohio 45238. Do not use your real name or any business names. They will not be used! Your secret can be as innocent or as dark as you want it to be. Tell your friends and family and anyone else who may want to do this. All secrets must be received by July 1st 2006. look for the book titled "Sshhh it's a secret" subtitled " confessions of the soul" in 2007. Thanks for everything! once I recieve your name I will post it on my website so you know I have your letter. it's WWW.itsasecretshhh.blogspot.com