Friday, November 30, 2007

The latest disaster: Coq Au Vin

I’ll spare you the gory details, but hope that you’ll laugh WITH me when I tell you that my latest culinary adventure was inspired by the following:



But did not result in Coq Au Vin. Instead, the resulting catastrophe could best be described as a pot of blackened bacon fat and a pile of stringy purple chicken with perfectly purple petite pearl onions.

So after several attempts at chewing, we decided to cut our losses. A liquid dinner never killed anyone, did it?

2 comments:

Acme Instant Food said...

I made coq au vin for the first time this last year--for company! Duhhh!!!!!

It was very purple. But, it tasted good so I turned down the lights and lit some candles. Nobody was the wiser!

Merry, merry and happy happy to you! All the best for 2008!

Ulla said...

I have had this issue as well.
Cooking with red wine to me is never as easy as you would think. White wine is always a pleasure, but red wine? It really can look like klingon food. This happened to my fondue, it tasted good but it was purple gray. NOT pretty! And when i make stew i try to use a dark beer because the red wine never looks or taste that good. maybe i am using the wrong wine?
but french reds are always very red.